Re: Maker

Carson Hinton Holt
MAKER can't annotate assembled transcripts.  It can only annotate genomic
sequence.  Transcript annotation is a very different problem.

Using a different species' genome would not produce annotation for your
transcripts, rather your transcripts would just be considered evidence for
annotating that species genome.  Your best option is probably just to use
BLAST to look for homology between species.  Do BLAST both ways and if
gene A in species 1 is the best hit for gene B in species 2 and vice versa
(reciprocal best hits), then you can consider them as being paralogous.
Also use the proteome from the related species when doing the BLAST
analysis (not the nucleotide transcripts).

--Carson