Re: Tripal 2.0

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Hans,

Thanks for the question.  I hope you don't mind, I'm CC'ing the tripal
mailing list on my response as others might also be interested in the
Tripal 2.0 release schedule.

We are just about ready to release an alpha version for 2.0. We have a
few more items to work out such as "genericising" the default Tripal
themes and standardizing the Tripal API a bit more.  We plan for that
release to happen before the end of the month.  But, hopefully before
the last day of the month.  So, yes it should be coming this month!

We may later have a beta version release depending on how many bug fixes
we find and we will begin converting some of our existing sites over to
Tripal 2.0.  That process should weed out the majority of major bugs and
after which  we will release full 2.0 version probably some time later
in the Spring.  The 2.0 tutorial has been started and is probably about
1/3 complete, but I cannot guarantee the Tripal 2.0 tutorial will be
ready by month's end.

Stephen

On 2/4/2014 4:02 PM, Hans Vasquez-Gross wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
>     I tried to find the release schedule for Tripal 2.0.  The people
> at PAG said it should be sometime this month.  I was wondering if you
> had a timeframe in mind.  I have a lot of new data I need to load and
> start working with, but I'd rather wait until Tripal 2.0 comes out so
> there is less potential for problems during the migration.
>
> Cheers,
> -Hans

Re: Tripal 2.0

Alex Rice
Hi I was wondering if there is a way to get access to the Alpha code- of
course knowing it's still in a dynamic state. I am not sure if the
Drupal Git sandbox thing means it's publicly available somewhere, or
not. Thanks

--
Alex Rice <[hidden email]>
Software Engineer

Re: Tripal 2.0

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Alex,

The 2.x development code is public.  You can download it and try it out
if you want.  But be warned... we are actively working on it and it is
in constant flux at the moment.  If you do download it, I would
recommend throwing it away and starting over once the alpha release
comes out.

To get access to the 2.x development code, simply retrieve the Tripal
code following the instructions on this page:

http://tripal.info/node/63

Those instructions will download the 1.x development code.  You can then
switch the the 2.x development code by running this command inside the
tripal folder

git checkout 7.x-2.x

Stephen

On 2/5/2014 5:05 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Hi I was wondering if there is a way to get access to the Alpha code- of
> course knowing it's still in a dynamic state. I am not sure if the
> Drupal Git sandbox thing means it's publicly available somewhere, or
> not. Thanks
>
> On 2/4/14, 2:45 PM, Stephen Ficklin wrote:
>
>> We are just about ready to release an alpha version for 2.0. We have a
>> few more items to work out such as "genericising" the default Tripal
>> themes and standardizing the Tripal API a bit more.  We plan for that
>> release to happen before the end of the month.  But, hopefully before
>> the last day of the month.  So, yes it should be coming this month!
>>
>> We may later have a beta version release depending on how many bug fixes
>> we find and we will begin converting some of our existing sites over to
>> Tripal 2.0.  That process should weed out the majority of major bugs and
>> after which  we will release full 2.0 version probably some time later
>> in the Spring.  The 2.0 tutorial has been started and is probably about
>> 1/3 complete, but I cannot guarantee the Tripal 2.0 tutorial will be
>> ready by month's end.
>>
>> Stephen

Re: Tripal 2.0

Alex Rice
Thanks got it! I noticed there is no 7.x-2.x branch for tripal_theme.
Will there be in the future, or is it being restructured? (maybe as
suggested in your opinion post about modules)

--
Alex Rice <[hidden email]>
Software Engineer
National Center for Genome Resources (NCGR)
http://ncgr.org
(505)995-4457

Re: Tripal 2.0

Lacey-Anne Sanderson-3
Hi Alex,

The tripal_theme is now part of tripal proper. Within each module there is a theme directory containing all the default templates that used to be provided as part of the tripal_theme. This removes the need to install and maintain the theme separately. Furthermore, it makes more sense for the module itself to provide some default theme-ing and many drupal modules do already do this.

As for the tripal theme, the thought is that instead we will provide a skeleton theme which gives you somewhere to start if you want to create your own site-specific theme-ing for tripal data. You would edit this theme directly with your custom templates/css. Some of the drupal framework themes already provide something similar for themers to create custom sub-themes...

I suggest you don’t use the unreleased 7.x-2.x to start module development at this time as the API is undergoing a clean-up and restructuring. Although a deprecated file is being created to ensure backwards compatibility, many of the current functions will be being phased out over the next couple of releases...

~Lacey

On Feb 6, 2014, at 4:52 PM, Alex Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK thanks for the advice! I am going to be checking out Drupal7 and
getting up to speed with module writing in general. I understand the API
is still changing in Tripal2.