Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

Assaf Gordon-2
Slightly off-topic, but for a new Galaxy installation -
What would you recommend for a free (FOSS) Grid/Cluster management product ?

SGE is not free any more (Oracle Grid Engine is "90-days evaluation, binaries only" free, starting 6.2u6).

Ease of administration is top-priority, more than sophisticated scheduling policies (and of course it has to be well supported by Galaxy).

Any suggestions ?
 -gordon

Re: Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

fubar
FWIW we use rocks http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress/ on one of
our clusters. It has the old/free OS version of SGE as an option which
seems stable and perfectly usable even if it's missing the latest
updates?

Rocks is based on CentOS - most recent release uses 5.4 - is not as
active a project as one might hope, but it seems usable in our hands
and is fairly easy to install and configure, particularly on a uniform
backend.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Assaf Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, but for a new Galaxy installation -
> What would you recommend for a free (FOSS) Grid/Cluster management product ?
>
> SGE is not free any more (Oracle Grid Engine is "90-days evaluation, binaries only" free, starting 6.2u6).
>
> Ease of administration is top-priority, more than sophisticated scheduling policies (and of course it has to be well supported by Galaxy).
>

> Any suggestions ?
>  -gordon

Ross Lazarus MBBS MPH
Associate Professor, HMS; Director of Bioinformatics, Channing Laboratory;
181 Longwood Ave., Boston MA 02115, USA. Tel: +1 617 505 4850
Head, Medical Bioinformatics, BakerIDI;
PO Box 6492, St Kilda Rd Central; Melbourne, VIC 8008, Australia; Tel:
+61 385321444

Re: Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

Florent Angly
I have used ROCKS before, and it is a convenient way to setup a cluster
because it does all the hard work for you and beucause it has many
management tools (rocks, tentakel, ...). There are regular (if not
frequent) updates too. The main criticism I have for ROCKS is that it's
not easily possible to update the system using the distro's standard
method (yum).
Florent

Nate Coraor (nate@bx.psu.edu)
Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but for a new Galaxy installation -
> What would you recommend for a free (FOSS) Grid/Cluster management product ?
>
> SGE is not free any more (Oracle Grid Engine is "90-days evaluation, binaries only" free, starting 6.2u6).
>
> Ease of administration is top-priority, more than sophisticated scheduling policies (and of course it has to be well supported by Galaxy).

I've only used SGE and TORQUE PBS.  Our Main site runs TORQUE/Maui, and
there seems to be a memory leak in the pbs_python library somewhere so
the process does have to be restarted occasionally.  Other than this,
Maui and the TORQUE server require little maintenance and work well.

--nate

> Any suggestions ?
>  -gordon

Re: Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

Haarst, Jan van

SGE has become OGE, and as OGE isn't free anymore.
But GridEngine is still available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/

More information through http://gridengine.info/2010/12/24/goodbye-grid-engine

Dag,
Jan

Re: Recommendation for Grid/Cluster management ?

Chris Cole
On 10/01/11 22:27, Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, but for a new Galaxy installation -
> What would you recommend for a free (FOSS) Grid/Cluster management product ?
>
> SGE is not free any more (Oracle Grid Engine is "90-days evaluation, binaries only" free, starting 6.2u6).
>
> Ease of administration is top-priority, more than sophisticated scheduling policies (and of course it has to be well supported by Galaxy).

A quick google reveals this statement from Oracle:
"The Open Grid Scheduler project
[http://sourceforge.net/projects/gridscheduler/] will be continuing on
the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project. While the Open
Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the Oracle Grid Engine
product, the project will have the support of the Oracle team, including
making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine open source
project."

The quote was found here:
http://markmail.org/message/olsiw5ix63jyicar

So, although OGE in no longer open or free there is an Oracle sanctioned
open version.

In the meantime, why not just stick with the latest free version of SGE?
We're still using it here with very few issues.