Requests for comments on a restricted mine

Requests for comments on a restricted mine

joe carlson
Hello,

I'm doing some work on being able to turn a big mine effectively a
smaller one by making only some of the data visible to a user. David
mentioned we wanted to do this during the hackathon. This is not a
security issue; we're trying to do it for the convenience of the users.

I have much of it running now. To get here I needed to dive into some of
the intermine internals. I was hoping that people who know the internals
could give this a quick read and let me know if there are some issues
that are either wrong or silly. (One of the things that might be silly
is how I convert from a QueryClass to the class of the intermine
object.) The file is attached. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Joe

CladeCut_RequestForComments (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Requests for comments on a restricted mine

sergio contrino-2
hi joe,
it looks like it should not be a difficult thing to add a mechanism in
the new webapp blue genes to add an organism(s) constraint to all
queries using a setting, so avoiding going through the intermine internals.
josh and the rest of the group will be able to elaborate on this, and
probably provide a proof of concept tool, but please let me know if it
looks i missed/misunderstood something on the issue.
thanks
sergio

On 19/10/17 22:50, Joe Carlson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm doing some work on being able to turn a big mine effectively a
> smaller one by making only some of the data visible to a user. David
> mentioned we wanted to do this during the hackathon. This is not a
> security issue; we're trying to do it for the convenience of the users.
>
> I have much of it running now. To get here I needed to dive into some of
> the intermine internals. I was hoping that people who know the internals
> could give this a quick read and let me know if there are some issues
> that are either wrong or silly. (One of the things that might be silly
> is how I convert from a QueryClass to the class of the intermine
> object.) The file is attached. I would appreciate any comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

sergio contrino                  InterMine, University of Cambridge
https://sergiocontrino.github.io           http://www.intermine.org

Re: Requests for comments on a restricted mine

joe carlson
Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the info. This is great to hear. I'm looking forward to blue
genes and this is the sort of thing that makes this exciting.

I'm guessing that we're going to want to have this deployed before blue
genes is production ready so I'm continuing my work. I've been surprised
at how easy it was to get into the internals and implement this. For
example, your initState method in the WebService class was put there
just for dealing with this sort of modification even though you didn't
actually need it. Good planning.

Joe