Retire mailing list?

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi All,

Earlier today in our Tripal Meeting at PAG we had a bit of discussion
about retiring our mailing list to anything except announcements.  The
reasons are 1)  some folks unsubscribe from the list to avoid receiving
emails not related to announcements and 2)  The github issue queue has a
much better interface for finding issues from the past.   The suggestion
is therefore to proceed with retiring of our  gmod-tripal and
gmod-tripal-devel lists.  We would then use the gmod-tripal-announce
mailing list to send out announcements such as project releases and
meeting invites.  Issues, questions and problems would then be added on
the Tripal GitHub Issue queue.

I wanted to give those who could not attend our meeting the opportunity
to weigh in.   Please feel free to send your thoughts.

Thanks,
Stephen

Re: Retire mailing list?

Cannon, Ethalinda K [COM S]

That makes sense to me. -Ethy

Re: Retire mailing list?

Michael Dondrup-3

I have a little concerns:
- How would one be able to ask questions that are not immediate issues, like
”How do I do … in Tripal, what does this error message mean?” or in case one
is unsure about some behavior is even a bug?
Would you consider
providing support via BioStars for example?

https://www.biostars.org/p/99811/

Michael

> On Jan 14, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Stephen Ficklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Earlier today in our Tripal Meeting at PAG we had a bit of discussion
> about retiring our mailing list to anything except announcements.  The
> reasons are 1)  some folks unsubscribe from the list to avoid receiving
> emails not related to announcements and 2)  The github issue queue has a
> much better interface for finding issues from the past.   The suggestion
> is therefore to proceed with retiring of our  gmod-tripal and
> gmod-tripal-devel lists.  We would then use the gmod-tripal-announce
> mailing list to send out announcements such as project releases and
> meeting invites.  Issues, questions and problems would then be added on
> the Tripal GitHub Issue queue.
>
> I wanted to give those who could not attend our meeting the opportunity
> to weigh in.   Please feel free to send your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Re: Retire mailing list?

zhilianghu
I echo the same :)

Zhiliang

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Michael Dondrup wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 18:12:21 +0100
> From: Michael Dondrup <[hidden email]>
> To: Stephen Ficklin <[hidden email]>
> Cc: GMOD Tripal <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a little concerns:
> - How would one be able to ask questions that are not immediate issues, like
> ”How do I do … in Tripal, what does this error message mean?” or in case one
> is unsure about some behavior is even a bug?
> Would you consider
> providing support via BioStars for example?
>
> https://www.biostars.org/p/99811/
>
> Michael
>
>> On Jan 14, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Stephen Ficklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Earlier today in our Tripal Meeting at PAG we had a bit of discussion
>> about retiring our mailing list to anything except announcements.  The
>> reasons are 1)  some folks unsubscribe from the list to avoid receiving
>> emails not related to announcements and 2)  The github issue queue has a
>> much better interface for finding issues from the past.   The suggestion
>> is therefore to proceed with retiring of our  gmod-tripal and
>> gmod-tripal-devel lists.  We would then use the gmod-tripal-announce
>> mailing list to send out announcements such as project releases and
>> meeting invites.  Issues, questions and problems would then be added on
>> the Tripal GitHub Issue queue.
>>
>> I wanted to give those who could not attend our meeting the opportunity
>> to weigh in.   Please feel free to send your thoughts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen

Re: Retire mailing list?

Chris Childers
Hi all,

We can create  'discussion' and 'question' labels on the repository do differentiate these types of conversations from other issues, bug reports or feature requests.
https://help.github.com/articles/creating-and-editing-labels-for-issues-and-pull-requests/

I've used the github issue systems for discussions in the past, and it has worked pretty well.  If you are actively watching the repo, these go to your email and you can reply either directly, or link back to the github interface.  then you can search through the repository to see the issues and discussions.

If we aren't sure if this system will work, I propose we test a trial run for a few weeks or months.  Would people be willing to test it?  If so, the first step is to agree on the forum and watch the repo in github (will we use the core repository: https://github.com/tripal/tripal ?).

Best,
Chris

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Zhiliang Hu <[hidden email]> wrote:
I echo the same :)

Zhiliang

Re: Retire mailing list?

Michael Dondrup-3
Hi,

does the issues function need to be enabled for this repo first? I do not see an issues link, only
a link to Drupal’s issue queue. What do people think on using BioStars.org as a support channel.
Many bioinformatics projects make use of that already. In my opinion it is more user friendly and will
provide better visibility of Tripal in general.

Michael