Tomcat 7/8 install

Shane McCoy
Hello! First time setting up WebApollo(and tomcat) - I'm using GMODs tutorial here:

Should i place Tomcat dir in the /root?

Also is this the correct documentation(from apache tomcat site) for setting up for webapollo?

Tomcat can be run as a daemon using the jsvc tool from the commons-daemon project. Source tarballs for jsvc are included with the Tomcat binaries, and need to be compiled. Building jsvc requires a C ANSI compiler (such as GCC), GNU Autoconf, and a JDK.

Before running the script, the JAVA_HOME environment variable should be set to the base path of the JDK. Alternately, when calling the ./configure script, the path of the JDK may be specified using the --with-java parameter, such as ./configure --with-java=/usr/java.

Using the following commands should result in a compiled jsvc binary, located in the $CATALINA_HOME/bin folder. This assumes that GNU TAR is used, and that CATALINA_HOME is an environment variable pointing to the base path of the Tomcat installation.

Thanks for your time!

Shane

Re: Tomcat 7/8 install

nathandunn

I would not put it in the /root directory.   That’s the home directory of the root user.

I usually put it in a directory like /data or /opt/apollo  or /apollo (or even your home directory).   The directory has to be readable by tomcat and the tomcat user.

Those are kind of the correct directions.   I don’t really think you need a special tomcat build.  If you are running on a mac I would install it using homebrew and if you are on Linux I was use apt-get or yum.

I would recommend (if you are able and feel comfortable) using the newer “beta” build that uses maven:

https://github.com/gmod/apollo/   (directions at the bottom)

Once you setup your config.properties, you should just type “./run.sh” to run it locally or “./deploy.sh” to build a war file to drop into tomcat’s web directory.

Nathan