Tripal Blast Database with Permissions

Sofia Robb
Hi Lacey,

How easy would it be to get the blast form to check that the user has permissions to view a blast database before it is listed in the drop down box? I kinda poked around but I think I would need some guidance to do this properly.

Thanks,
Sofia

Re: Tripal Blast Database with permissions

Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson
Hi Sofia,

It’s really easy actually :-) Tripal BLAST respects Drupal node access so it already ensures that if a user doesn’t have view permission for a given blast database then it’s not shown in the drop-down. Thus you can use any module that gives you fine-grained access control for individual  Drupal pages/nodes.

I use Simple Access which allows you to control permission on an individual node basis. If I remember correctly, you
1. Install Simple Access
2. Configure it (click configure beside it in the module list) by
- Specifying that you want to control view access under display in the settings tab and
- then create groups under the groups tab which map to a Drupal role.
3. Edit the blast database node you would like to control visibility for
- click the “Access” pane (near bottom of node edit page) in the edit form and select the checkbox of the simple access group you would like to restrict viewing to
4. Add users to the roles linked to the simple access group

This allows you to ensure that only a specified set of users have access to a given blast database. If they don’t have permission to view the blast database page then it won’t show up in the drop-down.

Hopefully that’s clear enough to get it working in your site *fingers crossed*
~Lacey

PS. I will try to make a quick tutorial on this in the future but I’m not sure when I’ll be able to find time…

Lacey-Anne Sanderson
Bioinformaticist
Pulse Crop Breeding and Genetics
Phone: (306) <a href="tel://966-3208">966-3208
Room 2C33 Agriculture
Department of Plant Sciences
University of Saskatchewan

On November 3, 2016 at 4:06:04 PM, Sofia Robb ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi Lacey,

How easy would it be to get the blast form to check that the user has permissions to view a blast database before it is listed in the drop down box? I kinda poked around but I think I would need some guidance to do this properly.

Thanks,
Sofia

Re: Tripal Blast Database with permissions

Sofia Robb-4
Hi Lacey,

Thanks! I had my permissions set wrong on my blast dbs so I thought that the form didn't respect permissions. I fixed my permissions and now it works just like it should!

Yes, Easy Fix!!

Thank you,
Sofia

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Kucheran, Lacey Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Phone: (306) <a href="tel://966-3208" target="_blank">966-3208