Tripal v3.0-rc1 released!

Stephen Ficklin-2
Dear Tripal Community,

We have just released Tripal version 3.0 release candidate 1
(7.x-3.0-rc1)!  We have worked to test as much as possible and therefore
make this a "release candidate".  This is the step just before stable
7.x-3.0 release.  There will be no major changes to infrastructure or
design in later releases as this release represents a completed design.
The only exception is some additional updates to come for web
services.   We are currently in the process of upgrading several Tripal
sites to use Tripal v3 for production so we will have multiple Tv3 sites
online soon!

For a summary of features within Tripal 3 read more below.   We have
improved the User's Guide and you can find it on the Tripal.info site
here:  http://tripal.info/tutorials/v3.x.  We will be adding more
content within the next several weeks as well.

If you notice any issues with this release please provide bug reports to
our GitHub Issue Queue at https://github.com/tripal/tripal/issues

I'd personally like to express my appreciation to all those who
participated in the development of this release. It has been quite a
challenge, a lot of work and we have a wonderfully dedicated group of
collaborators!

Sincerely,
Stephen

Below is a summary of major features in Tripal v3

1) Tripal v3 is backwards compatible with Tripal v2.  We have switched
content types from Drupal "nodes" to Drupal "entities" but you can
continue to use your current Tv2 "nodes" and templates as these are
still supported.  You can migrate your content to the new entities as
time allows and at your own pace.

2)  All data is categorized using controlled vocabularies.  Once web
services are completed this will allow for improved data exchange
between Tripal sites and collation of data from different sites.

3)  Tripal is no longer dependent on Chado for organization, although
Chado is still the primary data storage back-end.

4) Because data are now organized via controlled vocabularies, the
organization is more intuitive.  For example, you can create a
"germplasm" content type rather than a Chado-centric "stock" content
type, and data from your site will be shared via Web Services as
germplasm data and not "stock" data.

5)  Content is uniform:  what you see on a gene page (or any other
content type) is the same data that appears in web services and is
available in Drupal Views.  If you hide a field (i.e. piece of data) it
is hidden everywhere else.

6)  Tripal v3 fully adopts Drupal's Entities and Fields.  This means you
no longer need to edit PHP template files just to move or hide data on
your pages.

7)  You can customize your page layouts if you do not like the defaults
that Tripal provides without any programming.  No more PHP templates.
Using Drupal extension modules such as Display Suite or Panels you can
lay out your pages how you desire.

8)  For developers, Tripal is now more object oriented!  If you need
custom content we have expanded our API to more easily support
integration of new fields.  This includes fields to support brand new
content, or new "formatters" to change the way a field looks.

9) We have added a middle-layer separating the data storage back-end
(e.g. Chado) from the data presentation layer.  This means we can more
easily support other storage methods such as no-SQL options, direct
access to files (e.g. indexed BAM/VCF), etc.