Under what license is Tripal distributed?

Under what license is Tripal distributed?

Karl O. Pinc
Hi,

Although there are many mentions that Tripal is
"open source" no specific license is mentioned
anywhere.  Neither, as far as I can tell,
is there a license file in the git repo
and a random few files contain no copyright
statement.

Since Tripal is a Drupal module it must be
licensed under the GPL 2+, but, technically,
copyrighted software must, at least in the
U.S., contain a prominent copyright statement
somewhere.  Otherwise it's not copyrighted.

It'd also probably be good to have a license
file and a formal statement of GPL v2, v2+,
v3+, or whatever.

While this is something of a nit from
most perspectives it it probably not a
nit from a legal standpoint, and since
I started down the road of trying to figure
out the Tripal license, and the road
became long, it seemed worth writing this
email.

Regards,

Karl <[hidden email]>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Under what license is Tripal distributed?

Stephen Ficklin-2
HI Karl,

Thanks for raising the topic.   Tripal is licensed under the same GNU
v2.0 license as Drupal
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html).  Drupal
requires that all modules shared via it's website are licensed in this
way.   Drupal has a mechanism to automatically package releases for
extension modules that adds a LICENSE.txt file to the package and
therefore requests that the developers not add one. But this only occurs
once the project is out of the Drupal "Sandbox".   So, Tripal ends up
being distributed without a LICENSE.txt file in the package despite that
it is licensed under the GNU v2.0 license.

We will be releasing Tripal 2.0 in the near future and I will attempt to
get it out of the Sandbox before then so that it gets distributed with a
proper LICENSE.txt file. But, in the meantime, I will manually add one
to the distributions so that there is no confusion, and I will update
the Tripal website to prominently state the license.

Thank you,
Stephen