Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

wim....@gmail.com
Dear Apollo developers and users,

We are running apollo-2.6.0. Some users get very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups.  Myself as an admin I don't get this issue. Some other normal users also don't have this issue.

I thought this might have to do with the number of genomes that users that do experience this issue have access to. This I thought based on this older github issue.

https://github.com/GMOD/Apollo/issues/1939

But limiting the number of genomes to 1, without any features in the "user created content rack" , for the users that have this issue, did not solve the issue.

The users still have  the "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" around every 30 seconds to 1 minute.

So we are not sure if this is an Apollo issue, or a browser, laptop/desktop or network (from office or home vpn) connection issue.

Does anyone else get these frequent  "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups?

And do you maybe have some tips on how to troubleshoot these popups.

Thank you.

RE: Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

Robin A. Ohm

Hoi Wim,

I encountered a similar issue a few years ago. Some users never got that error message, while others got it all the time. I tracked it down to those latter users having a user name with capital letters in it. Once I removed the capital letters from the user name and they logged in with the lower case user name, everything worked fine for them. I should note that the developers couldn’t reproduce this issue, so it is likely infrastructure dependent.

https://github.com/GMOD/Apollo/issues/2226

(I just noticed that I missed the last comment on that issue by Nathan, sorry. The workaround fixed it so I haven’t looked into the underlying causes.).

Good luck! Robin

Robin A. Ohm, PhD | Assistant Professor | Microbiology

Utrecht University | Kruyt Building | Room O409 | Padualaan 8 | 3584 CH | Utrecht | The Netherlands | +31 30 2533041 | [hidden email]

Re: Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

nathandunn

That is a good idea.  If you supply me with user-name details, its possibly something I can address.

However, it may also be due to settings on your backing database or filesystem.

There is a “ping” function that is triggered on the network every 30 seconds or so in the browser’s network logs which may give some indication of what is going on (and similarly if there are errors in the server logs, those will hopefully be documented).

Nathan

On Oct 12, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Ohm, R.A. (Robin) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Beste Robin, Dear Nathan,

Thank you for in the information. We configured Apollo to use 'Remote User Authentication'  , which somehow connects to the services that are normally used in our organization for authentication.

One of the users with the issue had their username in uppercase, I changed that to lowercase.
Another user with the issue already has their username in lowercase.  To be sure I asked them both now to also login in with their types username in lowercase.

I'll also ask our IT colleagues to have a look in the server and / or browser logs.

Thank you again for the information.

Wim

Op maandag 12 oktober 2020 om 17:39:33 UTC+2 schreef Nathan Dunn:

[...]

Utrecht University | Kruyt Building | Room O409 | Padualaan 8 | 3584 CH | Utrecht | The Netherlands | <a href="tel:+31%2030%20253%203041" value="+31302533041" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">+31 30 2533041 | [hidden email]

Re: Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

wim....@gmail.com
Beste Robin, Dear Nathan,

For 1 user that had the issue changing the username from uppercase to lowercase seemed to have fixed the issue. Thank again Robin for the tip.

Now I am trying to figure out how to fix the issue for the user that already had the username in lowercase.

Wim

Op woensdag 14 oktober 2020 om 10:45:57 UTC+2 schreef [hidden email]:
[...]

Utrecht University | Kruyt Building | Room O409 | Padualaan 8 | 3584 CH | Utrecht | The Netherlands | <a href="tel:+31%2030%20253%203041" value="+31302533041" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">+31 30 2533041 | [hidden email]

Re: Very frequent "Logged out or server failure. Attempt to reconnect?" popups for some users.

wim....@gmail.com
The other use fixed the issue by logging in with their username in all lowercase.   No further investigation is needed.

It would be nice tough if Apollo, Apache or LDAP/AD could just lowercase the usernames. But maybe some authentication systems depend on mixed case in usernames.

Op woensdag 14 oktober 2020 om 12:14:31 UTC+2 schreef [hidden email]:
[...]

I think the mixed-case names would be preferable for security reasons.

However, if you wanted something more custom, you could cast it within the Apache / LDAP server.

Nathan

Op woensdag 14 oktober 2020 om 10:45:57 UTC+2 schreef wim....@...:
[...]

Utrecht University | Kruyt Building | Room O409 | Padualaan 8 | 3584 CH | Utrecht | The Netherlands | <a href="tel:+31%2030%20253%203041" value="+31302533041" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" class="">+31 30 2533041 | [hidden email]