WebApollo demo

girlwithglasses
Hello all,

I posted WebApollo, including a link to the demo server, on the BioStars website; this was the first response:

"Can I make a basic usability observation: when you create a demo site just have it jump directly to the visualization itself.

Making the site so that one first lands on a very rudimentary page, then has to click a link, then has to log in, then has to select some tracks - every single step loses a large number of potentially interested people. Load up the a nice fast page right away. Then point out other features.

And then after I went through all that - I was left confused, is this working at all? I saw some tracks but it was not obvious how to get anything visualized. Turns out I have to click edit? to see the tracks. I found that counterintuitive."

(from http://www.biostars.org/p/63045/)

Is it possible to alter the demo site to be more like this guy suggests? Or maybe have an introductory video to show people what WebApollo can do before they go to the demo site? Perhaps even a set of screenshots on the wiki to walk people through the first couple of steps of getting going with WebApollo?

Amelia Ireland
GMOD Community Support || http://gmod.org

Re: WebApollo demo

Suzanna Lewis
All very, very good points.

The help documentation was supposed to be incorporated into the landing page. It provides a walk through of operations. There also shouldn't be a double link (as described below). Moni is out this week and next, but as soon as she's back I'll ask her to make improvements.

As an aside, some type of login is required if a person wants to actually use it. It's not a 'browser' (though of course you can browse), it's an editor and authorship (as for a google doc) is included.

On Feb 6, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Amelia Ireland <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It would also be good to add some styling to the landing, login, and track choice pages -- they're a bit out of step with the rest of WebApollo's slick, speedy, sexy annotation editing experience.

For the purposes of the demo, is it possible to automatically log users in and load up one of the Bos taurus chromosomes? Maybe have a panel (like the help panel) with instructions as to what to do?

Amelia Ireland

On Feb 7, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Amelia Ireland <[hidden email]> wrote:

It would also be good to add some styling to the landing, login, and track choice pages -- they're a bit out of step with the rest of WebApollo's slick, speedy, sexy annotation editing experience.

For the purposes of the demo, is it possible to automatically log users in and load up one of the Bos taurus chromosomes? Maybe have a panel (like the help panel) with instructions as to what to do?

I was thinking the same thing. We'll look into it.