XCode4 and Perl

Alex Kalderimis-2
After bug-shooting with a user, I have bumped up against the fact that
Apple has very kindly broken their system Perl, which makes it
impossible to install our Perl client modules using their XCode 4
toolchain.  An explanation and some workarounds for this can be found
here:

http://deflatermouse.livejournal.com/149721.html

All best

Alex Kalderimis

Re: XCode4 and Perl

Alex Kalderimis-2
Just a follow up from the user in question, apparently they had good
results with workaround 3 from the page mentioned below, for future
reference that is:

>  Modify your Perl config - [...] you can edit
>  System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Config_heavy.pl
>  to remove the -arch ppc from $ENV{ARCHFLAGS}.

Alex

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:13:06AM +0100, Alex Kalderimis wrote:

> After bug-shooting with a user, I have bumped up against the fact that
> Apple has very kindly broken their system Perl, which makes it
> impossible to install our Perl client modules using their XCode 4
> toolchain.  An explanation and some workarounds for this can be found
> here:
>
> http://deflatermouse.livejournal.com/149721.html
>
> All best
>
> Alex Kalderimis

Re: XCode4 and Perl

Benjamin Hitz-2

I don't use  the system perl on macs for anything serious.  It's 5.10.0 which is a) sunsetted already and b) has bugs for Moose etc.
You can use mac ports to install 5.12 or 5.14.  Then use cpan to install perl modules.
Note that if you have already been using system perl (you can't actually, you know, delete or replace it) you might have to do some ENV and alias jiggering to make sure your cpan is pointing at /opt/local

Ben

On Jun 30, 2011, at 5:31 AM, Alex Kalderimis wrote:

> Just a follow up from the user in question, apparently they had good
> results with workaround 3 from the page mentioned below, for future
> reference that is:
>
>> Modify your Perl config - [...] you can edit
>> System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Config_heavy.pl
>> to remove the -arch ppc from $ENV{ARCHFLAGS}.
>
> Alex
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:13:06AM +0100, Alex Kalderimis wrote:
>> After bug-shooting with a user, I have bumped up against the fact that
>> Apple has very kindly broken their system Perl, which makes it
>> impossible to install our Perl client modules using their XCode 4
>> toolchain.  An explanation and some workarounds for this can be found
>> here:
>>
>> http://deflatermouse.livejournal.com/149721.html
>>
>> All best
>>
>> Alex Kalderimis

Ben Hitz
Senior Scientific Programmer ** Saccharomyces Genome Database ** GO Consortium
Stanford University ** [hidden email]

Re: XCode4 and Perl

Alex Kalderimis-2
For replacing the system perl with something more capable, I can
also recommend perlbrew - it makes it straighforward to build custom
installs. This advice is also very relevant for Python on the Mac as
well, which is similarly years out of date.

Alex