Your opinion

Stephen Ficklin-2
Dear Tripal Community,

In preparation for our Tripal 2.0 (Drupal 7 compatible) alpha release, we are attempting to find ways to simplify installation and usage.   As Tripal becomes larger one of the problems is the many modules and their inter-dependencies.   The dependencies require that Tripal modules be installed in a specific order and disabled in a specific order and if not it causes issues.  To help alleviate this problem we have come up with some solutions, but, we would like to know what you would prefer.  We have three different ideas and would like your votes:

1)  Keep module structure the way it is.
2)  Combine modules that often get used together so there are fewer modules.
3)  Combine all modules into a single module so that you only have one module (other than extension modules).

Can you let us know who which option you would prefer.  Please feel free to respond to the list.  Below is more detailed list of pro's and con's for each method.

Thanks much!
Stephen

Option #1:   Keep module organization as they are
Pros:
1) Tripal Developers don't have do do any re-organization of the code (less time to release of Tripal)
2) Folks are used to it and it follows the Chado module scheme so is intuitive if you are familiar with Chado
3) User's only need install the modules they don't want to use: don't need to look at everything.
4) The organization of modules help expose the user's to the Chado organizational structure.
Cons:
1) Dependencies can get unwieldy to manage and cause problems if installed out of order and complicates the installation
2) Each module must be installed one at a time.
3) Users have to really think about what they want their site to contain while studying Chado dependencies (e.g. you often don't realize you need analysis until you can't install feature. This is especially true with the ND module)

Option #2:  Combine modules into groups (reduced # of modules)
Pros:
1) Fewer dependencies to deal with
2) Faster installation (fewer steps)
3) Still able to restrict what functionality you want to see just to a lesser extent than option #1
4) Easier to determine which modules to enable based on your objectives since it doesn't need an intimate knowledge of chado
Cons:
1) Tripal Developers have to re-organize the code before the next release
2) The grouping of modules into single modules may be subjective (i.e. it doesn't follow any Chado grouping schema)
3) Users will see more functionality regardless if they need it or not

Option #3:  Combine all modules into one single Tripal module
Pros:
1) No inter-module dependencies
2) Only need to install one module
3) Materialized views, ontologies and custom tables all get installed at once.
4) No subjective grouping of modules
5) No need to think about your sites requirements on install since you get everything regardless
Cons:
1) Tripal Developers have to re-organize the code before the next release
2) Users will see all functionality regardless if they need it or not
3) Drupal encourages modular design with the idea that users can enable what they want.  Merging all Tripal modules into a single module breaks that Drupal way of things.
4) For users that only enable modules they need, the administration menus will have everything which may seem overwhelming.  The listing of available Views may also be overwhelming for folks who want to customize those.  These may be ameliorated with a new administrative page that lets you turn off what you don't need (similar to modules but without things being separate modules)

Re: Your opinion

Cannon, Ethalinda K [COM S]
My vote:

Having just come from a discussion about how small a piece of the Chado schema one can adopt for representing sequence data, I think the ability to pick and choose Tripal modules by their corresponding Chado module will make Tripal more appealing to groups that either have limited data or who have already established data schemas but are considering using Chado/Tripal to extend their databases for specific data types.

While recognizing the problem of the different Tripal modules being interdependent and the need to install and activate in a specific order and the confusion when things go awry, I do think the separate modules make Tripal more manageable. Also, since users should carefully think through what they need before even deciding whether or not to use Tripal, that requirement doesn't seem to be an argument against separate modules.

Ethy

Re: Your opinion

Sudhansu Dash
My vote goes for #2 , "Combine modules that often get used together so there are fewer modules."

If we want to make Tripal friendlier to use and develop, I think #2 is a good choice.  Right now I feel one has to be an expert developer to be able to use Tripal to change or adopt it to one's situation.  If related modules go together, the pain of learning the intractable inter-relationship in Tripal will be eased.

From my point of view, do we want to make Tripal expert friendly or learners-cum-adopter friendly should be a question of concern. Option #2 will help, to some extent, towards adopting Tripal by people of moderate skill level for their own customization.

Sudhansu Dash

--
Sudhansu Dash, Ph.D.