add new section to feature page

Sofia Robb
Hi,

Where do I start with adding a new section to the feature page? For example I want to add "Gene Groups" to the Overview, Alignments, Homology, Sequence list of sections.

I know I will need to make a new feature template php page in tripal/tripal_feature/theme/templates/ (haven't started yet)

but what else do I need to do so that it appears in the list of sections.

Thanks,
Sofia

Re: add new section to feature page

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Sofia,

I have reorganized and added new content to the Tripal User's Guide that explains how you can add new panes by creating custom templates.  Probably the easiest way  is to add new templates to your sites default theme directory.  I used your 'Gene Groups' pane as an example (I hope you don't mind) in the guide.   Here's a quick link to that page in the guide:  http://tripal.info/node/293.  You may want to check out the previous pages in the Guide for some background information.

If this method isn't sufficient for what you need you'll have to create your own custom module.

Also, one thing to keep in mind.  You should never make customizations inside of the Tripal directory.  This is because any customizations you make may be overwritten the next time you update Tripal.  Always copy templates you want to edit out of the Tripal modules and into your sites' default theme.

Stephen

On 3/23/2016 9:55 AM, Sofia Robb wrote:
Hi,

Where do I start with adding a new section to the feature page? For example I want to add "Gene Groups" to the Overview, Alignments, Homology, Sequence list of sections.

I know I will need to make a new feature template php page in tripal/tripal_feature/theme/templates/ (haven't started yet)

but what else do I need to do so that it appears in the list of sections.

Thanks,
Sofia

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

Re: add new section to feature page

Sofia Robb
This is great! I am going to work on this and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into ;) I have a question. If I make modifications to the default feature template files what should I do with them? Should I save them in my theme directory too and follow the instructions in this new tutorial? If so, do I remove the default template page? For example, I added links to my jbrowse in the feature_alignment template page and I added a link to primer3 in the feature_sequence page.

Thanks for all your help!
Sofia

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Stephen Ficklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good question.  That detail was not clear enough in the Guide. I've reorganized it a bit more and added a new section under 'Customize Tripal' called 'Customize an Existing Template' (http://tripal.info/node/294).    Because Tripal already provides these templates there's no need to follow all of the steps described in the 'Add a New Custom Pane Template' section of the Guide.  You simply need to copy the template into your sites default theme directory, edit it and clear the cache.  There's no need to remove the copy in the Tripal module as Drupal will ignore it in favor of the copy in your theme directory.  Editing templates has fewer steps than creating a brand new template.

Stephen

On 3/25/2016 10:00 AM, Sofia Robb wrote:
[...]

Hi Stephen,

Does this apply for css also? I want to modify the padding in one place. Where should I put the new css?

Thanks,
Sofia

[...]

When you need to add new CSS that should go in whatever your Theme's primary CSS file is.  Typically it's 'style.css' but every theme is different.    If you're not sure what it is you'll have to poke around a bit in your theme.

Stephen