[biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

[biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

Colin
Hi all,
I am trying to build a custom biomart and I was wondering if it's possible to query attributes that are not part of the main table.

For example, if I use the "create datasets for _tablename_" command, then this allows me to only filter on columns that are part of "_tablename_".

Is there anything I can do in the mart building process to query on attributes that are not part of the main table?

-Colin

Re: [biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

Arek Kasprzyk
Hi Colin,
could you give me more details on how you are building your mart and what version of BioMart software you are using (07, 08, 09)?

cheers

On 9 June 2014 19:11, Colin D <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to build a custom biomart and I was wondering if it's possible to query attributes that are not part of the main table.

For example, if I use the "create datasets for _tablename_" command, then this allows me to only filter on columns that are part of "_tablename_".

Is there anything I can do in the mart building process to query on attributes that are not part of the main table?

-Colin

Re: [biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

Colin
I'm using the MartBuilder in 0.7 right now. I have also tried the MartConfigurator in 0.8 and haven't had as much luck with that yet.

I have attached two screenshots to show how the MartBuilder setup looks, along with the resulting web interface. Note: After using the setup described by the screenshot from MartBuilder, I used the "generate SQL" command to generate the mart.

-Colin

output3.png (135K) Download Attachment
output2.png (249K) Download Attachment

Re: [biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

Arek Kasprzyk
Hi Colin,
as far as i remember the 07 version will create filters for the 'main' tables automatically but not for the 'dimension' (dm) tables. This feature aims to encourage people to use main table filters that are query optimised as opposed to using dm filters that can incur performance penalty (if the dm tables are big). However, there should be an option in MEditor that will allow you to create filter 'manually' ie for any column/table of your choice.

On 10 June 2014 16:26, Colin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was looking into how i might do this on the MartEditor. I was looking at the tableConstraint column specifically, I suppose I would use that to set the table I want to filter on? I was just confused because it is called "main" for the filters in the main table, and I haven't yet tried setting it to another table name. I have attached some screenshots just to be clear about it.

PS I actually revisited the MartConfigurator in 0.8 as well, and i am having a more luck with it now. Would you say that this might be easier to do in the MartConfigurator? Or is this working really "against the grain" of biomart and perhaps i should restructure the database?

-Colin

feature-schema2.png (169K) Download Attachment
feature-schema.png (179K) Download Attachment

Re: [biomart-users] Filter on columns other that the "main table"?

Arek Kasprzyk
Hi Colin,
once you have built your database with MBuilder, it is up to you if you want to continue with 07 (MEditor) or use the latest 09 (MConfigurator).