commandSet type="parallel"

Mariette
Hi everyone,
I have a component that has a section that requires to be run as parallel.
so I have this kind of structure :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<commandSetRoot xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation='commandSet.xsd'>
    <commandSet type="serial">
        <state>incomplete</state>
         <commandSet type="parallel">
         <state>incomplete</state>
        </commandSet>
    </commandSet>
</commandSetRoot>

It work, the command is executed, however, the whole parallel section of
my component is not displayed into ergatis, is that normal ?
If not, how can I fix that ??

Jerome

Re: commandSet type="parallel"

Mariette

I figured out in view_component.cgi there is a section that resume the
script if there is no <filename> node into the <commandSet.
So this explain why there is no display in my case ...

there is a way when I have no iteration to do in my component to make it
run on the cluster and not on the local machine ?
I'm aware of RunDistributedCommand but this one fails if ergatis is
settled for runing on a local machin (my components have to work either
on local machine and on distributed system)

Jeroem

Mariette a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
> I have a component that has a section that requires to be run as parallel.
> so I have this kind of structure :
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <commandSetRoot xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:schemaLocation='commandSet.xsd'>
>     <commandSet type="serial">
>         <state>incomplete</state>
>          <commandSet type="parallel">
>          <state>incomplete</state>
>         </commandSet>
>     </commandSet>
> </commandSetRoot>
>
> It work, the command is executed, however, the whole parallel section of
> my component is not displayed into ergatis, is that normal ?
> If not, how can I fix that ??
>
> Jerome

Re: commandSet type="parallel"

Joshua Orvis
Jerome -

You are correct.  You can set any command to run distributed by changing the type to RunDistributedCommand, but currently if you try to run a component with that sort of command and with grid settings disabled it will fail.  Could you please post a bug on the SF.net tracker here:

I'll look into fixing it.

Joshua

Mariette a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
> I have a component that has a section that requires to be run as parallel.
> so I have this kind of structure :
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <commandSetRoot xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
> xsi:schemaLocation='commandSet.xsd'>
>     <commandSet type="serial">
>         <state>incomplete</state>
>          <commandSet type="parallel">
>          <state>incomplete</state>
>         </commandSet>
>     </commandSet>
> </commandSetRoot>
>
> It work, the command is executed, however, the whole parallel section of
> my component is not displayed into ergatis, is that normal ?
> If not, how can I fix that ??
>
> Jerome

Re: commandSet type="parallel"

Mariette

allright it's done ...
Jerome

Joshua Orvis a écrit :

> Jerome -
>
> You are correct.  You can set any command to run distributed by
> changing the type to RunDistributedCommand, but currently if you try
> to run a component with that sort of command and with grid settings
> disabled it will fail.  Could you please post a bug on the SF.net
> tracker here:
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583
> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583>
>
> I'll look into fixing it.
>
> Joshua
>

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Mariette <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I figured out in view_component.cgi there is a section that resume the
>     script if there is no <filename> node into the <commandSet.
>     So this explain why there is no display in my case ...
>
>     there is a way when I have no iteration to do in my component to
>     make it
>     run on the cluster and not on the local machine ?
>     I'm aware of RunDistributedCommand but this one fails if ergatis is
>     settled for runing on a local machin (my components have to work
>     either
>     on local machine and on distributed system)
>
>     Jeroem
>

>     Mariette a écrit :
>     > Hi everyone,
>     > I have a component that has a section that requires to be run as
>     parallel.
>     > so I have this kind of structure :
>     >
>     > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>     >
>     > <commandSetRoot
>     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>     > xsi:schemaLocation='commandSet.xsd'>
>     >     <commandSet type="serial">
>     >         <state>incomplete</state>
>     >          ...
>     >          ...
>     >          <commandSet type="parallel">
>     >          <state>incomplete</state>
>     >          ...
>     >         </commandSet>
>     >     </commandSet>
>     > </commandSetRoot>
>     >
>     > It work, the command is executed, however, the whole parallel
>     section of
>     > my component is not displayed into ergatis, is that normal ?
>     > If not, how can I fix that ??
>     >
>     > Jerome
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ergatis-users
>     >

> Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability
> What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know.
> Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools
> to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

kill button not working

Jason Kwan
Hi everyone,

I'm running into a problem when I want to kill a pipeline, the "kill"
button on the ergatis web interface does nothing.  However, when I'm
SSH'd into the server I can type:

sudo perl kill_wf.cgi instancexml=/path/to/pipeline.xml

...and this works.  In ergatis.ini I have sudo_pipeline_execution = 1.
Is there some other variable I need to set to get this to work?  I don't
really want the lab users to have to do SSH to kill their pipelines if
needed.

Thanks for your help

Jason Kwan

On 5/12/11 8:10 AM, Mariette wrote:

> [...]
>>      >      </commandSet>
>>      >  </commandSetRoot>
>>      >
>>      >  It work, the command is executed, however, the whole parallel
>>      section of
>>      >  my component is not displayed into ergatis, is that normal ?
>>      >  If not, how can I fix that ??
>>      >
>>      >  Jerome
>>      >
>>      >
>>      >  [hidden email]
>>      <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>      >  https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ergatis-users
>>      >

>> Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability
>> What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know.
>> Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools
>> to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters.

Re: kill button not working

Joshua Orvis
Jason -

In the same path as your pipeline.xml file you should see a file that ends with something like "kill.log".  Is there any clue within that file?

JO

On May 12, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Jason Kwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm running into a problem when I want to kill a pipeline, the "kill"
> button on the ergatis web interface does nothing.  However, when I'm
> SSH'd into the server I can type:
>
> sudo perl kill_wf.cgi instancexml=/path/to/pipeline.xml
>
> ...and this works.  In ergatis.ini I have sudo_pipeline_execution = 1.
> Is there some other variable I need to set to get this to work?  I don't
> really want the lab users to have to do SSH to kill their pipelines if
> needed.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jason Kwan
>

> On 5/12/11 8:10 AM, Mariette wrote:
>> allright it's done ...
>> Jerome
>>

>> Joshua Orvis a écrit :
>>> Jerome -
>>>
>>> You are correct.  You can set any command to run distributed by
>>> changing the type to RunDistributedCommand, but currently if you try
>>> to run a component with that sort of command and with grid settings
>>> disabled it will fail.  Could you please post a bug on the SF.net
>>> tracker here:
>>>
>>>     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583
>>> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583>
>>>
>>> I'll look into fixing it.
>>>
>>> Joshua
>>>

>>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Mariette<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     I figured out in view_component.cgi there is a section that resume the
>>>     script if there is no<filename>  node into the<commandSet.
>>>     So this explain why there is no display in my case ...
>>>
>>>     there is a way when I have no iteration to do in my component to
>>>     make it
>>>     run on the cluster and not on the local machine ?
>>>     I'm aware of RunDistributedCommand but this one fails if ergatis is
>>>     settled for runing on a local machin (my components have to work
>>>     either
>>>     on local machine and on distributed system)
>>>
>>>     Jeroem

>>>     parallel.

>>>     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

>>>     section of

>>> Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability
>>> What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know.
>>> Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools
>>> to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters.
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

Re: kill button not working

Gowthaman Ramasamy
Hi Jason and Joshua,
long time ago (2  years) i came across the same problem. Kill not doing anything. It it started working after i made the following changes. I forgot what led me to that fix....not sure even if that is a sensible one, but, its working for us.....

so, in t he kill_wf.cgi file
i added this line:
`$ENV{WF_ROOT}/kill_workflow -i $instancexml &`; # kills

after commenting out this.....
#`$ENV{WF_ROOT}/KillWorkflow -i $instancexml &`; # does not kill

Not sure, if this  is going to help......

Thanks,
Gowtham

In the same path as your pipeline.xml file you should see a file that ends with something like "kill.log".  Is there any clue within that file?

JO

On May 12, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Jason Kwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm running into a problem when I want to kill a pipeline, the "kill"
> button on the ergatis web interface does nothing.  However, when I'm
> SSH'd into the server I can type:
>
> sudo perl kill_wf.cgi instancexml=/path/to/pipeline.xml
>
> ...and this works.  In ergatis.ini I have sudo_pipeline_execution = 1.
> Is there some other variable I need to set to get this to work?  I don't
> really want the lab users to have to do SSH to kill their pipelines if
> needed.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jason Kwan
>

> On 5/12/11 8:10 AM, Mariette wrote:
>> allright it's done ...
>> Jerome
>>

>> Joshua Orvis a écrit :
>>> Jerome -
>>>
>>> You are correct.  You can set any command to run distributed by
>>> changing the type to RunDistributedCommand, but currently if you try
>>> to run a component with that sort of command and with grid settings
>>> disabled it will fail.  Could you please post a bug on the SF.net
>>> tracker here:
>>>
>>>     http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583
>>> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=148765&atid=772583>
>>>
>>> I'll look into fixing it.
>>>
>>> Joshua
>>>

>>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Mariette<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>

>>>     I figured out in view_component.cgi there is a section that resume the
>>>     script if there is no<filename>  node into the<commandSet.
>>>     So this explain why there is no display in my case ...
>>>
>>>     there is a way when I have no iteration to do in my component to
>>>     make it
>>>     run on the cluster and not on the local machine ?
>>>     I'm aware of RunDistributedCommand but this one fails if ergatis is
>>>     settled for runing on a local machin (my components have to work
>>>     either
>>>     on local machine and on distributed system)
>>>
>>>     Jeroem

>>>     parallel.

>>>     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

>>>     section of

>>> Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability
>>> What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know.
>>> Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools
>>> to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters.
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

Re: kill button not working

Joshua Orvis
Jason -

If you try Gowtham's suggestion and it works for you could you please respond here and let the list know?

JO

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Gowthaman Ramasamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>>     script if there is no<filename>  node into the<commandSet.
>>>     So this explain why there is no display in my case ...
>>>
>>>     there is a way when I have no iteration to do in my component to
>>>     make it
>>>     run on the cluster and not on the local machine ?
>>>     I'm aware of RunDistributedCommand but this one fails if ergatis is
>>>     settled for runing on a local machin (my components have to work
>>>     either
>>>     on local machine and on distributed system)
>>>
>>>     Jeroem

>>>     parallel.

>>>     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

>>>     section of

>>> Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability
>>> What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know.
>>> Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools
>>> to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters.

Hi Joshua,

Yes, Gowtham's suggestion worked.  I did send an e-mail earlier but I'm not sure what happened to it.  Anyway, it appears as if both kill_workflow and KillWorkflow exist in the workflow engine directory, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

Thanks again

Jason