cv/cvterm web service

Scott Cain
Hi Josh,

I'm at the GMOD evobio hackathon, and something that came up was that
it would be really nice if there were a web service that would respond
to queries about what cv and cvterms are present in a given database.
While I feel like I could easily craft a cgi that would do that, I
felt that it might be better to build on anything you might have done.
 So, can you tell me what I ought to do?  (of course, the ideal answer
is "nothing, it's all done" :-)

Re: cv/cvterm web service

Josh Goodman
Hi Scott,

Ok then...Nothing, it's all done. :-)

I've not checked the code in just yet because I broke a few things and would prefer to fix them
before committing.  I'll point you in the correct direction after I commit.  For the CV service the
URL is

http://<yourmod>.org/gmodrpc/v1.1/cv

Which returns something like

<resultset>
   <result>
       <cv>
          <name>CV name</name>
          <definition>CV description</definition>
       </cv>
   </result>
</resultset>

The CV Term service is

http://<yourmod>.org/gmodrpc/v1.1/cv/<cv name>

Where <cv name> is the value from one of the result/cv/name nodes.  The result would be a list of
all cvterms in that cv.

The result formats for this service are OBO XML or a JSONized version of OBO XML.  One detail I
haven't quite worked out for this service is how much information to put into the data that is
returned in the result.  Is returning the ID, name, synonyms, and definition enough or should we try
to represent the ontology to its fullest extent?  Do you or anyone else have a feeling for where
this line should be drawn?  I'd love to hear about your use cases because mine are all very biased.

I should probably have a look at the Relax-NG file for OBO XML to see if that enforces rules about
what constitutes a minimal OBO file.

Josh