[galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

[galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

Dennis Gascoigne-2
I have tried to figure out what makes some data input select boxes sort the files numerically (like the Merge Columns tool) and some on text (like the add columns tool) but to me the configs seem identical.

The correct behaviour is to sort numerically. Can you please include in your next update a fix to ensure that all input data selects are sorted numerically?

Cheers
Dennis

Re: [galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

James Taylor
Hi Dennis,

Can you give us an example of the problem you are seeing? I believe
these are actually sorted by the age of the dataset (so in increasing
order of history id). This is the behavior I currently see on main and
test. Are you seeing this on a different Galaxy instance?

Thanks,
James

On May 30, 2010, at 6:29 PM, Dennis Gascoigne wrote:

> I have tried to figure out what makes some data input select boxes
> sort the files numerically (like the Merge Columns tool) and some on
> text (like the add columns tool) but to me the configs seem identical.
>
> The correct behaviour is to sort numerically. Can you please include
> in your next update a fix to ensure that all input data selects are
> sorted numerically?

Re: [galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

Dennis Gascoigne-2
This is our own mirror. I am using the same history and get different ordering depending on what tool I use but it is consistent.Add Column, Compute for example are definitely sorting on alphabetic. Merge columns could be either  numeric or history.

Screenshots attached. The two data inputs are treated differently for some reason. The dropdown list size is also different for the two which I do not understand.

Cheers

ScreenShot054.jpg (82K) Download Attachment
ScreenShot055.jpg (48K) Download Attachment

Re: [galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

James Taylor
Thanks Dennis, I can confirm this (when >100 history items). It will
be fixed.

On May 30, 2010, at 6:55 PM, Dennis Gascoigne wrote:

> This is our own mirror. I am using the same history and get
> different ordering depending on what tool I use but it is
> consistent.Add Column, Compute for example are definitely sorting on
> alphabetic. Merge columns could be either  numeric or history.
>
> Screenshots attached. The two data inputs are treated differently
> for some reason. The dropdown list size is also different for the
> two which I do not understand.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:37 AM, James Taylor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Can you give us an example of the problem you are seeing? I believe
> these are actually sorted by the age of the dataset (so in
> increasing order of history id). This is the behavior I currently
> see on main and test. Are you seeing this on a different Galaxy
> instance?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> On May 30, 2010, at 6:29 PM, Dennis Gascoigne wrote:
>
> I have tried to figure out what makes some data input select boxes
> sort the files numerically (like the Merge Columns tool) and some on
> text (like the add columns tool) but to me the configs seem identical.
>
> The correct behaviour is to sort numerically. Can you please include
> in your next update a fix to ensure that all input data selects are
> sorted numerically?
>

> <ScreenShot054.jpg><ScreenShot055.jpg>

Re: [galaxy-dev] Input type 'data' sorting - sometimes text, sometimes numeric

Jeremy Goecks
Fixed in galaxy-central changeset 3853:ef1a2c1c5bb9

J.