gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Kerr Wall
I've recently installed gbrowse on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client
release 5.7 (Tikanga).

Although gbrowse initally worked fine after the installation, I now
get a "Not Found" error for all pages.

I'm getting the following error in /var/log/httpd/error_log

[Fri Dec 09 09:09:21 2011] [error] [client 10.193.5.19] couldn't
create lock file '/var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions/cgisess.db.lck':
Permission denied at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/CGI/Session/Driver/db_file.pm line 98.

Any ideas?  Thanks,

Kerr

Re: gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Todd Harris
Does your web server daemon have write access to the sessions/ directory?

Todd

Sent from my iPhone

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Todd Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does your web server daemon have write access to the sessions/ directory?

I think so, apache is the owner of the directory and files:

drwxr-xr-x 2 apache apache  4096  Dec  8 19:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 apache apache  4096  Nov 17 11:01 ..
-rw-r----- 1    apache apache 12288  Nov 17 11:01 cgisess.db
-rw-r--r-- 1    apache apache     0     Dec  8 19:14 cgisess.db.lck

Kerr

> Todd
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 9, 2011, at 7:15 AM, Kerr Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've recently installed gbrowse on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client
>> release 5.7 (Tikanga).
>>
>> Although gbrowse initally worked fine after the installation, I now
>> get a "Not Found" error for all pages.
>>
>> I'm getting the following error in /var/log/httpd/error_log
>>
>> [Fri Dec 09 09:09:21 2011] [error] [client 10.193.5.19] couldn't
>> create lock file '/var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions/cgisess.db.lck':
>> Permission denied at
>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/CGI/Session/Driver/db_file.pm line 98.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Thanks,
>>
>> Kerr

Re: gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Scott Cain
Do you have SELinux enabled?  Try disabling it to see if that fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Kerr Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Todd Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does your web server daemon have write access to the sessions/ directory?
>
> I think so, apache is the owner of the directory and files:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 apache apache  4096  Dec  8 19:14 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 apache apache  4096  Nov 17 11:01 ..
> -rw-r----- 1    apache apache 12288  Nov 17 11:01 cgisess.db
> -rw-r--r-- 1    apache apache     0     Dec  8 19:14 cgisess.db.lck
>
> Kerr
>

>> Todd
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2011, at 7:15 AM, Kerr Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently installed gbrowse on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client
>>> release 5.7 (Tikanga).
>>>
>>> Although gbrowse initally worked fine after the installation, I now
>>> get a "Not Found" error for all pages.
>>>
>>> I'm getting the following error in /var/log/httpd/error_log
>>>
>>> [Fri Dec 09 09:09:21 2011] [error] [client 10.193.5.19] couldn't
>>> create lock file '/var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions/cgisess.db.lck':
>>> Permission denied at
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/CGI/Session/Driver/db_file.pm line 98.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kerr

Re: gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Kerr Wall
Hi Scott,

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you have SELinux enabled?  Try disabling it to see if that fixes the problem.

This fixed the problem.  Thanks!!!

Kerr

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Kerr Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Todd Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Does your web server daemon have write access to the sessions/ directory?
>>
>> I think so, apache is the owner of the directory and files:
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 apache apache  4096  Dec  8 19:14 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 5 apache apache  4096  Nov 17 11:01 ..
>> -rw-r----- 1    apache apache 12288  Nov 17 11:01 cgisess.db
>> -rw-r--r-- 1    apache apache     0     Dec  8 19:14 cgisess.db.lck
>>
>> Kerr
>>

>>> Todd
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Barris, Wes
Kerr Wall wrote on 2011-12-09:

> Hi Scott,
>
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do you have SELinux enabled?  Try disabling it to see if that fixes
> the problem.
>
> This fixed the problem.  Thanks!!!

Disabling security may work but may not always the best solution.  The
problem may be because the files in the sessions directory have the
wrong context (part of SELinux).  You can see the context by doing
this:

ls -lZ /var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions

The GBrowse install uses the wrong context for Redhat/CentOS during
installation.  I always have to change it to "httpd_sys_script_rw_t".
If your files do not have this context, you can change it like this:

sudo /usr/bin/chcon -R -t httpd_sys_script_rw_t /var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions

Then try re-enabling SELinux and see if GBrowse works.

> Kerr
>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Kerr Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> directory?
>>>
>>> I think so, apache is the owner of the directory and files:
>>>
>>> drwxr-xr-x 2 apache apache  4096  Dec  8 19:14 .
>>> drwxr-xr-x 5 apache apache  4096  Nov 17 11:01 ..
>>> -rw-r----- 1    apache apache 12288  Nov 17 11:01 cgisess.db
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1    apache apache     0     Dec  8 19:14 cgisess.db.lck
>>>
>>> Kerr

Wes Barris

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, then you have received this email in error and any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of your unintended receipt by reply and then delete this email and your reply. Cobb-Vantress, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates will not be held liable to any person resulting from the unintended or unauthorized use of any information contained in this email or as a result of any additions or deletions of information originally contained in this email.

Re: gbrowse error - couldn't create lock file

Kerr Wall
Hi Wes,

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Barris, Wes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kerr Wall wrote on 2011-12-09:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Scott Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Do you have SELinux enabled?  Try disabling it to see if that fixes the problem.
>>
>> This fixed the problem.  Thanks!!!
>
> Disabling security may work but may not always the best solution.  The
> problem may be because the files in the sessions directory have the
> wrong context (part of SELinux).  You can see the context by doing
> this:
>
> ls -lZ /var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions
>
> The GBrowse install uses the wrong context for Redhat/CentOS during
> installation.  I always have to change it to "httpd_sys_script_rw_t".

You are correct and that directory (and files) has the wrong context -
'var_lib_t'

> If your files do not have this context, you can change it like this:
>
> sudo /usr/bin/chcon -R -t httpd_sys_script_rw_t /var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions
>
> Then try re-enabling SELinux and see if GBrowse works.

I changed the context but gbrowse didn't work after I re-enabled SELinux.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kerr

Kerr Wall wrote on 2011-12-09:

>> The GBrowse install uses the wrong context for Redhat/CentOS during
>> installation.  I always have to change it to "httpd_sys_script_rw_t".
>
> You are correct and that directory (and files) has the wrong context -
> 'var_lib_t'
>
>> If your files do not have this context, you can change it like this:
>>
>> sudo /usr/bin/chcon -R -t httpd_sys_script_rw_t
>> /var/lib/gbrowse2/sessions
>>
>> Then try re-enabling SELinux and see if GBrowse works.
>
> I changed the context but gbrowse didn't work after I re-enabled SELinux.
>
> Any other ideas?

Yes.  Enable SELinux, do a tail -f on either /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure
and then try to access GBrowse.  That should give you more information on what
is preventing it from working.  The messages that are recorded in those logs
can be very cryptic.   A way to better understand and resolve SELinux-related
issues is to install and configure setroubleshoot.  SEtroubleshoot is a layer
of software that watches for SELinux issues and emails you with human-understandable
reasons for any failures.  It will also provide you with the command(s) for
remedying the failure.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011