is it possible to upload files to different local directories based on the galaxy upload.py script?

is it possible to upload files to different local directories based on the galaxy upload.py script?

amenda lee
Hi;

Is it poosible to upload files to the different local directories by Galaxy upload.py script?  It seems to upload all files to the same directory based on the file path in universe_wsgi.ini file.

if yes, what part of upload.py needs to be edited?  also is it possible to keep name of uploaded file unchanged?

Thanks in advance.

Amenda Lee

Re: is it possible to upload files to different local directories based on the galaxy upload.py script?

Nate Coraor (nate@bx.psu.edu)
amenda lee wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Is it poosible to upload files to the different local directories by
> Galaxy upload.py script?  It seems to upload all files to the same
> directory based on the file path in universe_wsgi.ini file.
>
> if yes, what part of upload.py needs to be edited?  also is it possible
> to keep name of uploaded file unchanged?

Hi Amenda,

Galaxy manages all of its data internally.  If it was not done like
this, I am not sure how you would define which directory each upload
should go into.

The exception to this is that when using Galaxy Data Libraries, you can
choose to leave files in their original locations when uploading them on
the server side (via the "Upload a directory of files" and "Upload from
filesystem paths" options).

That said, if you wanted to write some sort of custom method for placing
files based on some rules at upload, it could be done.  Dataset objects
have an 'external_filename' attribute which can be set to any filesystem
path.  This value is stored in the database and will be automatically
used by anything which needs access to the disk file.

--nate