meaning of primaryIdentifier and secondaryidentifier

meaning of primaryIdentifier and secondaryidentifier

小桥流水
Hi,
when I edit some files of intermine, the primaryIdentifier and SecondaryIdentifier confused me, could please tell me some details about this, if there is an example, maybe better
Thanks
Susie

Re: meaning of primaryIdentifier and secondaryidentifier

Richard Smith
Hi Susie,
We populate primaryIdentifier with the main id for a gene but as there
are often many different identifier schemes there is the option to
use secondaryIdentifier as well.  There is also a separate symbol field.

In Dropsophila genes have two identifiers from FlyBase, an FBgn number
and CG number, for example 'eve' (the symbol) has primaryIdenifier
FBgn0000606 and secondaryIdentifier CG2328.

http://www.flymine.org/query/portal.do?class=Gene&externalids=FBgn0000606

For human genes in metabolicMine we use the Ensembl id as primary and
the NCBI id as secondary:

http://www.metabolicmine.org/beta/portal.do?class=Gene&externalids=ENSG00000106038

As a general rule the primaryIdentifier should always be populated.

Regards,
Richard.