(no subject)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

(no subject)

nathan.ricks
As I have been submitting my genome sequences to NCBI, I've come to realise that about 1/10 of the transcripts generated have an incorrect start codon. When I look at the genes manually, they usually have a start codon 3 or 6 base pairs away. What could be causing this?
I read about a previous issue where there was a mistake in Bioperl and the fix was implemented many version ago. I have maker version 3.00

<a href="https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ">https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ


_______________________________________________
maker-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://box290.bluehost.com/mailman/listinfo/maker-devel_yandell-lab.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (no subject)

Fields, Christopher J

If you have a fairly recent version of Bioperl (now at 1.7.1) this should not be an issue within bioperl (note this isn’t a bug per se, just that the default universal codon table has rare codons so we simply added a ‘strict’ alternative table). 

 

Also, based on that thread Carson also added a workaround in MAKER explicitly setting a ‘strict’ codon table that should be in 3.00.

 

chris

 

From: maker-devel <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Ricks <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [maker-devel] (no subject)

 

As I have been submitting my genome sequences to NCBI, I've come to realise that about 1/10 of the transcripts generated have an incorrect start codon. When I look at the genes manually, they usually have a start codon 3 or 6 base pairs away. What could be causing this?

I read about a previous issue where there was a mistake in Bioperl and the fix was implemented many version ago. I have maker version 3.00

<a href="https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ">https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ


_______________________________________________
maker-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://box290.bluehost.com/mailman/listinfo/maker-devel_yandell-lab.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: (no subject)

Carson Holt-2
Correct. Current MAKER 2.31.9 AND 3.00 beta have the strict codon table workaround for BioPerl.

MAKER’s default behavior is to use the same ORF given to it be the predictor and alter start codon if MAKER itself is able to add extra sequence that can extend the ORF during the UTR addition phase and find a start codon. But if you set alway_complete=1 in the options, it will walk upstream and downstream to find start/stop codons in the surrounding sequence even if it has to add sequence to the exons.

Thanks,
Carson


On Aug 3, 2017, at 9:14 AM, Fields, Christopher J <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you have a fairly recent version of Bioperl (now at 1.7.1) this should not be an issue within bioperl (note this isn’t a bug per se, just that the default universal codon table has rare codons so we simply added a ‘strict’ alternative table).  
 
Also, based on that thread Carson also added a workaround in MAKER explicitly setting a ‘strict’ codon table that should be in 3.00.
 
chris
 
From: maker-devel <[hidden email]> on behalf of Nathan Ricks <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [maker-devel] (no subject)
 
As I have been submitting my genome sequences to NCBI, I've come to realise that about 1/10 of the transcripts generated have an incorrect start codon. When I look at the genes manually, they usually have a start codon 3 or 6 base pairs away. What could be causing this?

I read about a previous issue where there was a mistake in Bioperl and the fix was implemented many version ago. I have maker version 3.00

<a href="https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/maker-devel/start$20codon|sort:relevance/maker-devel/S0j1fJ4LjVY/5ugSG01kKkUJ

_______________________________________________
maker-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://box290.bluehost.com/mailman/listinfo/maker-devel_yandell-lab.org


_______________________________________________
maker-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://box290.bluehost.com/mailman/listinfo/maker-devel_yandell-lab.org
Loading...