problem with Apollo daabases

Luigi Faino
Dear,
i have a problem in deploying apollo production in combination with any kind of databases.

I had installed Apollo 2.5.0 on ubuntu 18.04 with H2 database and it worked out of the box.
I went to ubuntu 20.04 and I had to reinstall all the software therefore Webapollo as well. I tried to install Wbapollo 2.6.1 but it fails every time.
in the beginning I used the same apollo-config.goovy pointing to the .h2 database
"/data/apolloData/annotation".
as you can see from the next file, the annotation database is owned by tomcat and had RWX for all

-rwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat tomcat 2546251776 Oct  2 13:15 /data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db*

the error that i got is:

SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class [org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.context.GrailsContextLoaderListener]
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManagerPostProcessor': Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'hibernateProperties' while setting bean property 'hibernateProperties'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'hibernateProperties': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dialectDetector' while setting bean property 'properties' with key [hibernate.dialect]; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dialectDetector': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.jdbc.support.MetaDataAccessException: Error while extracting DatabaseMetaData; nested exception is org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: IO Exception: "java.io.FileNotFoundException: /data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db (Permission denied)"; "name: /data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db mode: r" [90031-176]

looks like that "/data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db " is in read only but actually it is in 777 mode.

therefore I decide to use postgres with no luck

here the error is:

changelog.groovy : ERROR: column "adsrc" does not exist

I looked a bit around and I found that this error is due to a new version of postgres. I have postgres 12 and it is not using this column anymore.

at this point i tried mysql and again no luck. I build a database with a specific user and password but nothing.

here the problem may be:
"Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException"
mysql version: mysql  Ver 8.0.21-0ubuntu0.20.04.4 for Linux on x86_64 ((Ubuntu))

all this is done using tomcat9

this said, can someone help? Any idea on how to procede?

Cheers
Luigi

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
The information contained in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it permanently from your computer system.

Re: problem with Apollo daabases

nathandunn

On Oct 12, 2020, at 10:30 AM, 'Luigi Faino' via apollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear,
i have a problem in deploying apollo production in combination with any kind of databases.

I had installed Apollo 2.5.0 on ubuntu 18.04 with H2 database and it worked out of the box.
I went to ubuntu 20.04 and I had to reinstall all the software therefore Webapollo as well. I tried to install Wbapollo 2.6.1 but it fails every time.
in the beginning I used the same apollo-config.goovy pointing to the .h2 database
"/data/apolloData/annotation".
as you can see from the next file, the annotation database is owned by tomcat and had RWX for all

-rwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat tomcat 2546251776 Oct  2 13:15 /data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db*

I agree that this should work with H2 without an issue.

Can you confirm what user tomcat is being run by in the newer Ubuntu?

Can you post the apollo-config.groovy file?

Did you build this from scratch (i.e., download a tarball or zip file and build it with your apollo-config.groovy in place)?   Sometimes an older apollo-config.groovy is compiled in and needs to be cleaned out (why the clean-all target).

That being said, I get the sense that the apollo-config.groovy is specifying a “dialect” property when it shouldn’t in the apollo-confi.groovy.

[...]

I had problems with Postgres 12 as well.  I would stick to 9 or 10.  I think 11 works as well.   If there is more detail on the error it would be helpful for me.

at this point i tried mysql and again no luck. I build a database with a specific user and password but nothing.

here the problem may be:
"Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException"
mysql version: mysql  Ver 8.0.21-0ubuntu0.20.04.4 for Linux on x86_64 ((Ubuntu))

Let’s try getting h2 and then PostgreSQL working.

all this is done using tomcat9

That is what I think most folks are using and it shouldn’t be a problem.

Nathan

[...]

Hi Nathan
now it works but i get this error. no idea where this folder should be.

cheers
Luigi

screen.png

Il giorno lunedì 12 ottobre 2020 alle 19:47:44 UTC+2 Nathan Dunn ha scritto:

On Oct 12, 2020, at 10:30 AM, 'Luigi Faino' via apollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear,
i have a problem in deploying apollo production in combination with any kind of databases.

I had installed Apollo 2.5.0 on ubuntu 18.04 with H2 database and it worked out of the box.
I went to ubuntu 20.04 and I had to reinstall all the software therefore Webapollo as well. I tried to install Wbapollo 2.6.1 but it fails every time.
in the beginning I used the same apollo-config.goovy pointing to the .h2 database
"/data/apolloData/annotation".
as you can see from the next file, the annotation database is owned by tomcat and had RWX for all

-rwxrwxrwx 1 tomcat tomcat <a href="tel:(254)%20625-1776" value="+12546251776" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">2546251776 Oct  2 13:15 /data/apolloData/annotation.h2.db*

[...]

I saw that someoneelse had the same error and i tryed the fix of making the folder accessible using chmod but it is not working

if i access the apollo database, i can see this

lfaino@ZeusPV:~$ sudo su postgres
[sudo] password for lfaino:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for lfaino:
postgres@ZeusPV:/home/lfaino$ psql -U apollo -d apollo -h localhost -W
Password:
psql (11.9 (Ubuntu 11.9-1.pgdg20.04+1))
SSL connection (protocol: TLSv1.3, cipher: TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, bits: 256, compression: off)
Type "help" for help.

apollo=# select * from application_preference;
 id | version | name | value
----+---------+------+-------
(0 rows)

apollo=#

i attach the config file to show that i changed the database name

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono strettamente riservate e indirizzate esclusivamente al destinatario. Si prega di non leggere, fare copia, inoltrare a terzi o conservare tale messaggio se non si è il legittimo destinatario dello stesso. Qualora tale messaggio sia stato ricevuto per errore, si prega di restituirlo al mittente e di cancellarlo permanentemente dal proprio computer.
The information contained in this e mail message is strictly confidential and intended for the use of the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, forward or store it on your computer. If you have received the message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it permanently from your computer system.

Re: problem with Apollo daabases

nathandunn
Mine looks like this:

select * from application_preference ;

   id   | version |         name          |          value
--------+---------+-----------------------+-------------------------
 299439 |       1 | common_data_directory | /opt/apollo_common_data
(1 row)

It usually sets it to what is in your what is specified in your Config.groovy (apollo.common_data_directory = “apollo_data”), which is what you are seeing.  Likely you can’t write to that directory and likely it rolls back the transaction that creates that entry.

What happens if you change it to a directory within an absolute path (and permissions available to the tomcat user) using that dialog?

Nathan

On Oct 13, 2020, at 5:26 AM, Luigi Faino <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

which dialog? the pop up of WebApollo?
I already tried to use absolute path in the WebApollo popup but nothing. looks that apollo can not write into postgres database

Luigi

Il giorno martedì 13 ottobre 2020 alle 18:44:19 UTC+2 Nathan Dunn ha scritto:
Mine looks like this:

[...]

If you started from a de novo database and it created those tables it has access.

What do you see in your server logs?

Nathan

On Oct 13, 2020, at 5:26 AM, Luigi Faino <luigi...@...> wrote:

[...]

Nathan I solved
i changed the path in config.groovy to the absolute path and changed the permission to the user in posgress 10

Il giorno martedì 13 ottobre 2020 alle 20:50:54 UTC+2 Luigi Faino ha scritto:
[...]

actually i do not know why it works.

postgres=# \c apollodb;
You are now connected to database "apollodb" as user "postgres".
apollodb=# select * from application_preference;
 id | version | name | value
(0 rows)

this is still no information

Il giorno martedì 13 ottobre 2020 alle 21:40:03 UTC+2 Luigi Faino ha scritto:
[...]

Do the rest of the annotations / sequence / users seem to be writing to the database?

Wondering if its pickup up the apollo-config.groovy properly.

I’m sure it will use the config as a backup for the database, but certainly less than idea.

Nathan