question on webGbrowse

cikAlal
Dear,

I would like to ask about webGbrowse..

May I know, is it possible if I want to create my own Gbrowser using the webGbrowse, and I want to host it using my institution's hosting. Is there any requirement/license required to allow me to do that?

Really appreciate your kind attention.

Suhaila Sulaiman

Re: question on webGbrowse

Ram Podicheti-2

Hi,

You are right, WebGBrowse provides an interface to administer GBrowse for which you need to have GBrowse (either 1.x or 2.x) preinstalled. WebGBrowse and most other libraries it uses, are designed and tested for unix environment and I am not sure how it behaves on Windows. If you decide to install it on Windows, please let us know how it went, so that it would be helpful for future requests. Also, let us know if you have any questions or face any difficulties.

Thanks,

Ram

Re: question on webGbrowse

Ram Podicheti-2

You can use WebGBrowse from the CGB server directly instead of installing it locally. One advantage of a local installation though is that you don’t have to upload your GFF datasets through http. This will be quite significant especially if you are dealing with a very large dataset. I would recommend you to start using the WebGBrowse from the CGB server (http://webgbrowse.cgb.indiana.edu/), play around with some sample datasets and then decide if you need to install it locally.  Also, regarding the installation of GBrowse itself, you can get a lot of help from [hidden email] mailing list. Please let me know if you need further help.

Thanks,

Ram