Quantcast

question regarding webGbrowse

Jordan Thompson
To whom it may concern:

Hello, I am emailing with a question about webGbrowse. We are curious about setting up a lab website, whereby users from the general scientific community can visit, and see certain annotations displayed on our organism's genome. I was wondering if, once I setup the webGbrowse with our data, if it is possible, and then if you allow, individual labs to display this information on their own server. If indeed this is possible, would you have any suggestions in undertaking this process, and know of any other labs which have done this? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

All the best,
Jordan

Re: question regarding webGbrowse

Ram Podicheti-2
Hi Jordan,
GBrowse has the option of importing tracks from a different instance on to your own provided you know the URL of the track to be imported (the documentation on this come with your GBrowse installation, or you can also refer to it on any other public GBrowse sites - for eg: http://browse.yeastgenome.org/gbrowse2/annotation_help.html#remote). However, I wouldn't recommend using WebGBrowse directly for this purpose as WebGBrowse is created to design the GBrowse instances and its configuration data is editable. So, you may want to create your site using WebGBrowse, but make it public on a regular GBrowse instance. The other users accessing your GBrowse page can import your data to be displayed on their own GBrowse sites without any problem as explained in the link above. Hope that answers your question.
Thanks,

Ram