"DB:" prefix for rows in the DB table

Rob Syme
Hi there,

What is the reasoning behind the 'DB:' prefix for some of the DB table rows?
eg:
"DB:refseq"
"DB:genbank"
"DB:EMBL"
"DB:TIGR"
"DB:ucsc"
etc

Why not simply name the rows "refseq", "genbank", "EMBL"?
-r

Rob Syme
PhD Student
ACNFP
Curtin University, Western Australia

Re: "DB:" prefix for rows in the DB table

Scott Cain
Hi Rob,

Hmm, honestly, I don't remember.  It wasn't me that did it.  Does
anyone else remember?  The person who did in 2003 is not longer with
the project, and there isn't much in terms of a commit message to
explain why he did it (this is the entirety of the message
"standardize").

And while it seems silly, now there's 7 years worth of history behind
doing it this way.

Scott

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Rob Syme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> What is the reasoning behind the 'DB:' prefix for some of the DB table rows?
> eg:
> "DB:refseq"
> "DB:genbank"
> "DB:EMBL"
> "DB:TIGR"
> "DB:ucsc"
> etc
>
> Why not simply name the rows "refseq", "genbank", "EMBL"?
> -r
>
> Rob Syme
> PhD Student
> ACNFP
> Curtin University, Western Australia

Re: "DB:" prefix for rows in the DB table

Don Gilbert-2-3
Scott and Rob,

In the past I frequently complained about this double prefix
for the standard biodatabase prefixes stored in chado. It is contrary
to accepted practice in other uses of biodata, where the
prefixes are as you indicate used without an extra "DB:" in
front. It causes problems when exporting this data for other uses.
I'd suggest removing this DB: pre-prefix if feasible.

- Don

Re: "DB:" prefix for rows in the DB table

Robert Buels
+1 to removing silly information-free prefixes.

Rob

Re: "DB:" prefix for rows in the DB table

Siddhartha Basu
+1 in the favour of removing.

-siddhartha