"pre-requisite" for Intermine developers?

"pre-requisite" for Intermine developers?

zhilianghu
I just start to look into Intermine as a developmental framework/platform
and try to get an idea - is there any "pre-requisite" for developers in
terms of skill sets needed?  I had an impression (forget from where) that
it accommodates multiple programming languages - does it?

By glancing through its TUTORIAL topics it seems unix/postgres/java/etc is
essential. I bet there are more needed ... I may have missed the obvious
and any advice is appreciated.

We hope to have something more sustainable in terms of long time
maintenance/development (despite personnel changes), not something like
Drupal is tied to PHP, or Django is tied to Python, etc.

Zhiliang

Re: "pre-requisite" for Intermine developers?

Julie Sullivan
Hello! I am glad you are interested in InterMine! Replies inline:

On 05/01/16 15:35, Zhiliang Hu wrote:
> I just start to look into Intermine as a developmental
> framework/platform and try to get an idea - is there any "pre-requisite"
> for developers in terms of skill sets needed?

 From my experience, people who were able to get their InterMine up and
running quickly, engage users, etc didn't have a specific skill set.
They were just clever.

That being said, data loading will be easier if you know Java, Perl or
Python. And are comfortable on the command line.

Maybe other devs have opinions?

> I had an impression
> (forget from where) that it accommodates multiple programming languages
> - does it?

For loading data into the database, most data loading software is
written in Java. We do have a Perl API and plenty of people use it. Data
can be loaded via a specific "InterMine-XML" format, and I know of at
least one InterMine who use Python to format their data into XML.

For data retrieval on the command line, we have several client libraries
(Java, Perl, Python, Ruby and JavaScript).

Our backend is all Java, and our frontend is a mix of JSPs and JavaScript.

> By glancing through its TUTORIAL topics it seems unix/postgres/java/etc
> is essential. I bet there are more needed ... I may have missed the
> obvious and any advice is appreciated.

Yes, your list covers most of our stack I think. Plus Tomcat.

> We hope to have something more sustainable in terms of long time
> maintenance/development (despite personnel changes), not something like
> Drupal is tied to PHP, or Django is tied to Python, etc.

I would say InterMine is tied pretty closely to Java, PostgreSQL and
Tomcat. (at least for now!)

Does that help at all? Let me know if you have any more questions!

> Zhiliang

Re: "pre-requisite" for Intermine developers?

zhilianghu
Julie,

Thanks for the answers. We are (naively) thinking to migrate the Animal
QTLdb (http://www.animalgenome.org/QTLdb), and if successful also the OMIA
(http://www.omia.org; each was developed under its own roof) to Intermine.
I guess my question was what programming environment would there be once
we are on Intermine?

Any Intermine users folks on board - YeastMine/ FlyMine/ RatMine/ etc
- did you completely move to Intermine or you use Intermine as a
complement to your own developmental framework?

Sorry I have not taken a bite on Intermine and only imagine what it does
which could be wrong.

Zhiliang