require valid-user

Sofia Robb
Hello,

I would like to require that a specific track is only viewable from a specific IP range or from a valid user. The IP range works great. When I am not in the IP range, i would like the apache login box to pop up and ask for the user and pasword. I set up my .httpd.conf and passwords file, but i am not getting the box asking me to log in when i have a link that contains a region with this track to be displayed, and the snp track is not being displayed.

[snps]
restrict = Order deny,allow
                  deny from all
                  Allow from 172.16.[9-63]
                  require valid-user

How do I properly set up "require valid-user" ?

Thanks,
Sofia