so many PHP warnings

Alex Rice
Maybe this is more of drupal question than a tripal question, but...
Using this branch of tripal with PHP Version 5.5.7.

$ git status
# On branch 6.x-1.x

I am seeing many PHP warnings. For example browsing to the Sequence
Features page I see all this at the top of the page.  I have only been
able to workaround this by installing the drupal disable_messages module
and block out all warnings. note most but not all of these are re:
strict. the last two are not re: strict.

strict warning: Non-static method view::load() should not be called
statically in /Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/views/views.module on
line 906.
strict warning: Declaration of chado_views_handler_field::pre_render()
should be compatible with views_handler_field::pre_render($values) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/tripal/tripal_views/views/handlers/chado_views_handler_field.inc
on line 152.
strict warning: Declaration of
chado_views_handler_field_numeric::pre_render() should be compatible
with views_handler_field::pre_render($values) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/tripal/tripal_views/views/handlers/chado_views_handler_field_numeric.inc
on line 95.
strict warning: Declaration of
chado_views_handler_field_boolean::pre_render() should be compatible
with views_handler_field::pre_render($values) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/tripal/tripal_views/views/handlers/chado_views_handler_field_boolean.inc
on line 121.
strict warning: Declaration of
chado_views_handler_field_date::pre_render() should be compatible with
views_handler_field::pre_render($values) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/tripal/tripal_views/views/handlers/chado_views_handler_field_date.inc
on line 111.
strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_validate()
should be compatible with views_handler::options_validate($form,
&$form_state) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc
on line 607.
strict warning: Declaration of views_handler_filter::options_submit()
should be compatible with views_handler::options_submit($form,
&$form_state) in
/Users/agr/Sites/sites/all/modules/views/handlers/views_handler_filter.inc
on line 607.
warning: strlen() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in
/Users/agr/Sites/includes/unicode.inc on line 413.
warning: htmlspecialchars() expects parameter 1 to be string, array
given in /Users/agr/Sites/includes/bootstrap.inc on line 860.

--
Alex Rice <[hidden email]>
Software Engineer

Re: so many PHP warnings

girlwithglasses
Hi Alex,

There is some information on the Drupal website about the compatibility of different PHP versions with Drupal 6, which is what Tripal is based on:

Given the information from that page, you may find it easier to either downgrade your PHP version or to use a tool like phpfarm to run two or more PHP installations on the same machine.

Instructions for setting up phpfarm: http://cweiske.de/tagebuch/Introducing%20phpfarm.htm

Thanks,
Amelia.

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Alex Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Amelia Ireland
GMOD Community Support
Generic Model Organism Database project
http://gmod.org || @gmodproject

Re: so many PHP warnings

Alex Rice
OK Thanks Amelia, not sure how I missed that! Reverting to PHP 5.2.

It's surprising that Drupal does not warn about an incompatible PHP
version in it's installation script!

On 1/2/14, 2:52 PM, Amelia Ireland wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> There is some information on the Drupal website about the compatibility
> of different PHP versions with Drupal 6, which is what Tripal is based on:
>
> https://drupal.org/requirements/php
>
> Given the information from that page, you may find it easier to either
> downgrade your PHP version or to use a tool like phpfarm to run two or
> more PHP installations on the same machine.
>
> Instructions for setting up phpfarm:
> http://cweiske.de/tagebuch/Introducing%20phpfarm.htm
>
> Thanks,
> Amelia.

Re: so many PHP warnings

Stephen Ficklin-2
Hi Alex,

I think we may be able to get rid of these warnings by making some
tweaks to the code.   We've done so for quite a few of those PHP
warnings, but it seems we still have some more to catch.  I may be able
to clean those up for you in the development branch (6.x-1.x) in the
next day or two.  I have installed PHP 5.5.3 so I can hopefully catch
these and try to clear them up before the Tripal v1.1.1 bug fix release.

BTW.... We currently use version PHP 5.3 for all of our production sites
and it works fine.

Stephen

On 1/2/2014 5:04 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> OK Thanks Amelia, not sure how I missed that! Reverting to PHP 5.2.
>
> It's surprising that Drupal does not warn about an incompatible PHP
> version in it's installation script!
>
> On 1/2/14, 2:52 PM, Amelia Ireland wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> There is some information on the Drupal website about the compatibility
>> of different PHP versions with Drupal 6, which is what Tripal is based on:
>>
>> https://drupal.org/requirements/php
>>
>> Given the information from that page, you may find it easier to either
>> downgrade your PHP version or to use a tool like phpfarm to run two or
>> more PHP installations on the same machine.
>>
>> Instructions for setting up phpfarm:
>> http://cweiske.de/tagebuch/Introducing%20phpfarm.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Amelia.

Re: so many PHP warnings

Alex Rice
Thanks Stephen, but dont do any rush coding on my account. I am really
just getting started and learning Tripal, so I will just go back to PHP 5.3.